Sunday, July 27, 2008

fear and loathing in los clases

"Just like writing a traditional book report, developing trailers requires prewriting. Students read. They write first drafts. They storyboard those images that will best drive the narrative of the trailer. They plan for transitions and effects. They received peer review. They revise.
- Sara Kajder, Educational Leadership

This sounds all well and good, but "just like writing a traditional book report," I think there's a good chance that I'll lose a lot of students during the writing process. Many of my students will not begin most of their assignments. Some of them will care enough to write a first draft. Thus far, only one of them in a year and most of a summer, has ever written a second draft of something. The fact that he wrote a second draft was fantastic, but there was really no writing process involved. Aside from a few spelling mistakes I corrected that he rewrote, the first and second drafts were virtually the same thing. There was no "process," no editing, no rethinking through it. Though I think the book trailer will go over much better with students than asking them to write a traditional report, I don't actually know that my students will be willing to take the time and put in the effort to complete them, or for that matter, to even start them. I need a way to motivate them before all that goes into making a book trailer can happen.

"By most accounts, literature circles have been a valuable addition to many kids' school experience, helping to grow more self-sustaining lifelong readers."
- Harvey Daniels, What's the Next Big thing with Literature Circles?

I think this quote has a lot of truth to it. The more a teacher can encourage student-led reading, the more a student will continue to read on his/her own. I also love the idea of having students reading together in class, but not a core novel. My concern is that because I have a transient population of students, that even if they are doing the right thing when I ask them to, none of them will be on nearly the same page as their literature circle at the same time. I am unsure how to conduct such a group when I might have a student leave before he/she finishes the book. Do I ask this student to write a report on what he/she has read of the book? Also, what do I do for students who refuse to read and consistently put their heads down during reading time? I want to help students grow into these self-sustaining lifelong readers, but I don't know that literature circles are the way to go for my situation.


No comments: