Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fences Webquest

Fences WebQuest

The unit I enjoyed teaching the most this year centered on August Wilson’s Fences. It was relatable and engaging for all of my students including the reluctant readers. In hindsight I feel that if I would have been able to incorporate a webquest, specifically the one referenced above, my students would have had a deeper understanding of some of the subtleties in the text. This webquest centers on understanding the setting of the play in order to facilitate a broad and in depth understanding of the play. I feel this webquest is important because in order for students to understand what is going on in this story they need to understand the full implications of what was taking place during this time in history. This webquest asks students to create a webpage which must include various media such as poetry, sound clips and video. With so many options this quest is great for multimodal learning as well as providing an opportunity for non-traditional, authentic learning.

No comments: