Thursday, July 31, 2008

Fostering Good Readers and Writers

Book Trailers

“These students are reading and writing, but in modes and media that are different from the print literacies valued in schools. Classrooms that value these 21st-century literacies provide students with opportunities to create, think critically, genuinely collaborate with participants around the globe, and communicate through a variety of modes and media” (Kajder, 2008, p.1).

It is amazing how we seem to push the traditional means of reading and writing in schools. Book trailers as an alternative means of engaging students in the reading and writing process will definitely work in my classroom. Kajder has definitely found a “hook” to capture the interest of these students. Most of my students seem to be more technologically inclined than I am. These students are waiting to be reached in a medium that is familiar to them. I often complain about the lack of creativity from my students, technology is a means to bring student-creativity back in the classroom. The only set back I foresee in some schools is the lack of computers for students to accomplish these goals. All hope is not lost because students can collaborate with their peers and create their projects. The book trailers could also be completed from home or the library. Once the teacher provides a model of what is required then students can always work outside of the class.

Kajder, S. (2008). The book trailer: engaging teens through technologies. Educational Leadership 65 (6), pp. 1-4.

Literature Circles

“You can have a written conversation while sitting side by side in real time, passing notes back and forth, or in letter form, where writers send “mail” for readers to answer when they get time” (Daniels, 2006, p.14).

I happen to use literature circles in my classroom. I also assign different roles for each student in the group; this is my way of making sure that everyone participates. I do not give students a standard worksheet or prompts of what they should write or talk about, but I allow them to explore the novel and put their ideas on post-its. I do like the idea of writing little notes to each other. I think this strategy is an excellent means to get reluctant and reserved students to participate in their group. I will expand this strategy to other areas of my English class. I also like the idea of creating a partnership with students and having them write about what they do and don’t understand about the lesson. This is a terrific way to assess student-understanding as I read or have students share their notes. What a great way to keep students engaged!

Daniels, H. (2006). What’s the next best thing with literature circles?. Voices from the Middle 13 (4), pp. 10-15.

No comments: