Thursday, July 10, 2008

Greek Mythology Web Quest

Last year, one of my first units was on Greek Mythology. In retrospect, it was a bit of a bomb; I am determined to make it work this year, and plan on teaching as my first or second unit to 9th graders. The web quest linked above will, I think, help to make the unit a success. It provides links that clearly summarize important relationships, emphasizes key concepts, makes relevant connections to students' lives, and provides lots of choice. I'm not sure how much of an actual "quest" it is; it doesn't require too much clicking and seems to be, really, more of an online assignment. Yet this is what I like about it--it's focused, comprehensible, the links works, and the work represents an appropriate level for beginning of the year 9th graders. I imagine using the quest as our first major group work project--groups of four might have three days to come together on a really nice project that they present. Conveniently, this would scaffold the units big individual project--the creation of a personal myth. The only draw backs I see to this quest are it's references to middle school and the creator's very specific project, but I could get around this by just re-writing and re-posting links within my own page or whatnot. Nice!

1 comment:

Brady said...

I loved the website in there on Greek Mythology and advertising. I did something similar last year with just Prometheus, but this is even better. Thanks!