Friday, July 11, 2008

Maniac Magee

I read Jerry Spinelli’s Maniac Magee last summer and I thought it would be a nice read for 6th grade boys. I really had no intention of teaching it as a whole class novel, but I wanted it in my classroom library. In the author study unit some students chose it for their literature circle. It was very difficult for me to create a variety of projects that the boys would like. This Maniac Magee webquest has great projects; it differentiates the product while giving students a choice of completing six of eleven activities. I do believe my boys would be very excited to complete these tasks. Anything sports related is usually a great hook for boys. Being able to research information on their favorite baseball team and the different types of pitches will be fun and exciting for them. I’m excited to try this webquest with my new 6th graders.

No comments: